NATURE, EXCELLENT WINING AND DINING, THE VIBES OF THE MOTHER CITY
IN THE SOUTHERN PART OF SOUTH AFRICA
For itineraries – see Modules South
THE GARDEN ROUTE
- From Port Elizabeth to Stilbay and Witsand you’ll find
mysterious forests, a dramatic coastline, tranquil lakes and rugged
mountains : the Eden of South Africa
- Places not to miss : Tsitsikamma ( spectacular river gorges, evergreen
forest ), Plettenberg Bay ( ideal for whale watching from June through
till November ), Knysna ( Featherbed Nature Reserve, the lagoon,
arts and crafts ), Oudtshoorn ( the ostrich capital )
THE WINE REGION
- Impressive mountains, fertile valleys, historical villages, beautiful
Cape Dutch houses, orchards and vineyards… welcome to one
of the world’s finest regions !
- Stellenbosch is the centre of the wine region and has the oldest
university of the country. Over 80% of its buildings are considered
as National Monuments. Enjoy wine tasting along the Stellenbosch
Wine Route and in the Overberg region, in more than 100 estates.
- Franschoek is the food and wine capital of the country. Visit
the Huguenots Museum to understand the French roots of this region
and admire the charm of this village with its art galleries, excellent
restaurants and interesting wine estates.
- Paarl, Wellington, Ceres and Tulbagh all boost superb wine estates,
beautiful scenery and historical sites.
CAPE TOWN AND THE PENINSULA
- Things to do and see in the ‘mother city’ :
- take the cablecar to the top of Table Mountain
- visit Robben Island
- go on a shopping spree in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront
- visit the Castle of Good Hope and have lunch there
- stroll around Greenmarket Square and the Compagnie Gardens
- visit District Six Museum and the Bo Kaap
…or join a guided tour ….
- The Peninsula is of an unsurpassed natural beauty. Take a scenic
drive along Houtbay and Chapman’s Peak Drive to the Nature
Reserve with its magnificent Fynbos. Drink in the view of the rough
coastline from Cape Point and Cape Good Hope and don’t miss
the penguins ( Boulders Beach ) in Simon’s Town and the serenity
Botanical Gardens in Kirstenbosch on your way back to the city.